Shorebased Training '24 » RYA VHF Training Course
RYA SRC (VHF Radio) course
BMYC Cruising will be running a RYA training course for VHF radio use in our club on the 20th of April. BOOK YOUR PLACE NOW!
This will be an all day course with equipment provided. There is an optional exam at the end of the day to get a RYA certication.
The course instruction and examination will be provided by Chieftain Training.
Who should take this course?
- Every skipper is obliged to have 1 or more persons qualified and licensed to operate a modern VHF radio.
- If your license was issued before DSC then it should be renewed!
- If you regularly crew and are interested - it is interesting!
What are the costs ?
- Course fee is £90 (Special price for BMYC Members normally £125)
- Examination and certificate £70 (you will receive an email to book and pay this directly with the RYA shortly before the course.
WHAT DOES THE RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE (SRC) QUALIFY ME TO DO?
This radio operator qualification authorises the holder to operate a VHF (Very High Frequency) marine radio with or without Digital Selective Calling (DSC) on board any British vessel that is voluntarily fitted with radio equipment. It is the VHF licence for leisure and commercial craft under 24m. This qualification is a legal requirement for marine VHF users throughout the world and is recognised across the globe. The training also provides essential knowledge and practice on how to call for assistance if you were in trouble at sea.
HOW LONG IS THE RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE COURSE?
- One day: 0915 to 1645 plus a 40-90 minute exam at the end of the day
WHAT ARE THE RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE PRE REQUISITES?
- Minimum age 16 (under 16s can enjoy the course but are not eligible for the exam)
- Read the RYA SRC handbook before the course, (included in your course fee)
- Learn the phonetic alphabet
- Bring a passport photo
- If you choose the online course option you must have access to a PC, Mac or iPad
WHAT IS COVERED ON THE RYA SHORT RANGE CERTIFICATE COURSE?
The classroom course is taught using our range of 18 live DSC and Navtex sets. You can expect to practice on modern Icom, Simrad or Silva DSC radios during your course. We believe in making the "theory" as practical as possible. The course covers;
- VHF Voice Procedures
- VHF Digital Selective Calling (DSC)
- Distress, Urgency, Safety and Routine Calling
- Ship to ship, ship to shore and group calling
- Sea Area A1
This certificate is the minimum qualification required to operate a marine VHF Radio.INCLUDEDRYA SRC COURSE CLASSOOM BASED OPTION
- Use of our Icom, Simrad, Silva or Standard Horizon live VHF / DSC simulators
- A full day of training
- RYA VHF Handbook
Resources assigned to this event
20 April 2024↓LW 04:05 1.553m
↑HW 10:23 5.125m
↓LW 16:22 1.349m
↑HW 22:43 5.521m
Tide data for Shoreham