- Club Class is offered to new members of BMYC as an introduction to inshore yacht racing and appreciation of the skills needed to crew on a racing yacht.
- All yachts are provided free of charge by their owners. As such participants in ‘Club Class’ are guests aboard the yacht and must follow any instructions given by the ‘skipper’ or the experienced club members/crew onboard.
- All helpers with ‘Club Class’ are fellow BMYC members and are volunteers. And we hope that you will appreciate them providing their expensive toys and giving up their valuable time. For the duration of ‘Club Class’ – helpers, skippers or any other person associated with the running of ‘Club Class’ will be deemed to be ‘Servants of the Club’.
‘Club Class’ is NOT a formal training course and the participation of Helpers, Skippers, Presenters or any other Servants of ‘the Club’ does not signify suitability to instruct. Those looking to learn to ‘sail’ and command a boat should look to the RYAs range of sailing courses.
As new full member of BMYC you have opted to get involved with this introduction to yacht racing the main activity at BMYC. Your membership is for 1 year and we hope that you will make good use of your membership. You and your guests, are welcome to use ‘the Club’ and its galley and bar.
Please note that as with any activity there is a risk of injury, it is rare and if you follow instructions given sailing is a very safe sport. But by getting involved you understand that you do so entirely at your own risk and accept that:
The Club, comprising its Officers, Members and Servants will not accept liability arising from injury to a person or any damage or loss of property belonging to a member, guest or visitor to ‘the Club’ no matter how so caused, prior to, during, or as a result of attending ‘ any event or activity organised by ‘the Club’ at the club premises, associated vessels or any other facilities of ‘the Club’ whether or not such injury, damage or loss may be attributed to or was occasioned by any neglect, default or negligence on the part of any Officer, Member or Servant of ‘the Club’.
- To minimise risks afloat you will required to wear a lifejacket – this will be on the yacht you join but you must wear it at all times and be familiar with its operation – if not sure ASK!
- Whilst afloat you must agree to follow the instructions of the ‘skipper’ and their crew and be prepared to follow out instructions in a calm and controlled manner.
- Take care when moving around the yacht – there are things to kick and trip over and the decks will be wet and maybe slippery.
- Suitable footwear should be worn at all times – marine deck shoes/boots are best but soft soled sports shoes are fine – garden wellies are not!
- Everyone will have heard horror stories of folks being hit by the ‘boom’ – you will learn how to avoid this and awareness of the other moving parts of the boat
- Sails are controlled with ropes (sheets/halyards) – soft office hands and wet salty ropes are not a good mix – a pair of sailing gloves is a good investment. They are available on the web for £20-30 or ‘Nickys’ the chandlers at the eastern end of the marina stocks them and if you mention BMYC Club Class they will do what they can on price.
- If you are a non-swimmer or have any health issues that you feel your skipper needs to know about, please ensure you inform them before leaving the dock – or share with the shore team who will be signing you in each week.
Sailing is a practical sport and best learned afloat – that said we will start each day with a quick chat about some aspect of sailing/crewing before being allocated boats and going sailing. Use this opportunity to quiz the experienced members who will be mooching about the club before going afloat.
We will have copies of this note for you to agree to and sign on the 1st morning but for now all at BMYC welcome you to our club and as the ‘Club Class’ of Spring 23 we hope you will enjoy your introduction to the Club and your introduction to racing.
Your enrolment data will be entered into our secure Sailing Club Manager database. By signing this form, you are giving your agreement to this. None of your data will ever be shared with any third party or used in any way except for maintaining the record of the club.